A Man After God’s Own HeartPrint This Post
“And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will.’” (Act 13:22)
Other translations read this way — “David, not theres a man dear to My heart, the kind of man who pleases Me most; the kind of man I like. He is a man whose heart beats to My heart.”
Wow…wouldn’t you want God to say that about you?
Well, let’s look at what made David stand out; what it was that he had going for Him that so turned God’s heart his way. And we will use David’s own words to find that for which we look – for “out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.”
There is no other portion of Scripture that rivals Psalm 119 for its sweeping acclamation of the inexhaustible wealth found in God’s Word. Here are but a few of David’s choice reflections:
- Verses 18- Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
- Verses 47-48 (TLB) – How I love your laws! How I enjoy your commands! “Come, come to me,” I call to them, for I love them and will let them fill my life.
- Verse 54 – Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
- Verse 72 – The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.
- Verses 97 – O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
- Verse 103 – How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
- Verse 111 – Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.
- Verse 162 – I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil.
- Verse 165 – Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
May I recommend that you commit to memory at least three of these quotations? Take your pick, and muse upon them throughout the day; mutter them under breath as you plod along your daily grind. Sing them, pray them; ponder them; share them. You just never know when somewhere in that process you will find yourself encompassed in the arms of God – a man or woman after His own heart!
Tomorrow? “The Meal You Never Tire of Eating….”